3ds Max Plugin Development

Great work on this plugin for 3ds Max! It looks like things are progressing well.

BTW, I’m part of the 3ds Max rendering team at Autodesk. Are you all on the beta program? If anyone is interested, send a request to kelly.michels at autodesk.com and he will get you set up.

Support for developers usually goes through ADN, but we have a new program to specifically help 3rd party renderer developers. If you need information you can ping me at jenni.oconnor at autodesk.

• Jenni

Hi Jenni,

Thanks for getting in touch!

We aren’t on the beta program yet, but it sounds very interesting. What are the benefits?

Started work on the appleseed Standard Material plugin.

Download 64-bit 3ds Max 2015/2016 plugin: appleseed-max2015-0.1.2-alpha.zip

To install or update the plugin:

1. Unzip the archive somewhere
  2. Copy the appleseed.dll file to the root folder of 3ds Max
  3. Copy the following files to the plugins folder of 3ds Max:
    • appleseed-renderer-max2015.dlr
    • appleseed-stdmtl-max2015.dlm

Test render by @Pistols:

New update!

• Implemented material preview
  • Switched to sliders in appleseed Standard Material
  • Added Background Emits Light option to render settings
  • Fixed gamma correction issue in appleseed Standard Material
  • Use base color in viewport for objects using the appleseed Standard Material

Download 64-bit 3ds Max 2015/2016 plugin: appleseed-max2015-0.1.3-alpha.zip

1. If you installed a previous version of the plugin, make sure to first delete the appleseed-stdmtl-max2015.dlm file from the plugins folder of 3ds Max.
  2. Unzip the archive somewhere.
  3. Copy the appleseed.dll file to the root folder of 3ds Max.
  4. Copy the following files to the plugins folder of 3ds Max:
    • appleseed-stdmtl-max2015.dlt

I’m not a Max user but it look very cool indeed! :smiley:

Great, the last time I tried it there was some issues with the geometry normals, I’ve been waiting weeks for this “appleseed Material” plugin release. I’ll try it when I get home. Thank you

New update!

• Added support for texturing (see limitations below)
  • Fixed issue #7: appleseedStdMtl’s animated diffuse color doesn’t update in viewport
  • Fixed slowdowns when the compact material editor is open
  • Fixed update download button

Limitations:

Right now the plugin only supports maps of type Bitmap. No Bitmap map options are supported. Textures are always tiled. Most image file formats are supported, including EXR, PNG, TIFF, BMP and JPEG.

Known issues:

• Map buttons should display an M when maps are assigned instead of full map names
  • When a texture is bound to the Base Color, the map takes precedence and the color has no effect

Download 64-bit 3ds Max 2015/2016 plugin: appleseed-max2015-0.1.4-alpha.zip

1. Unzip the archive somewhere.
  2. Copy the following files to the root folder of 3ds Max:
    • appleseed.dll
    • msvcr110.dll
    • msvcp110.dll
    • vccorlib110.dll
  3. Copy the following files to the plugins folder of 3ds Max:
    • appleseed-stdmtl-max2015.dlt

Feedback appreciated!

Great job! :blush:

New update!

• Added support for subsurface scattering
  • Renamed Standard Material to Disney Material
  • Changed default number of rendering passes from 4 to 1
  • Rearchitectured the plugin to allow a cleaner installation

The same limitations as before apply:

• Both the Disney Material and the SSS Material only support maps of type Bitmap
  • No Bitmap options are supported
  • Textures are always tiled
  • Most image file formats are supported, including EXR, PNG, TIFF, BMP and JPEG

Known issues:

• Map buttons should display an M when maps are assigned instead of full map names
  • When a texture is bound to the Base Color, the map takes precedence and the color has no effect

Download 64-bit 3ds Max 2015/2016 plugin: appleseed-max2015-0.1.5-alpha.zip

1. If you installed a previous version of the plugin, uninstall it by deleting the files you had copied to the root and the plugins folders of 3ds Max.
  2. Go to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\plugins.
  3. Unzip the archive into a new appleseed folder.
  4. Start 3ds Max, go to CustomizeConfigure System Paths…3rd Party Plug-Ins, click Add… and choose the appleseed folder you created in the previous step.
  5. At this point the plug-in should be installed and loaded in 3ds Max. Go to CustomizePlug-in Manager… and check that APPLESEED-PLUGIN-MAX2015.DLR is present and loaded.

Feedback appreciated (in this thread)!

Is it available for 3ds max 2017 yet?

Not yet. I’ll try to make a 3ds Max 2017 build for the next release, which I expect to release soon.

All right, thanks a lot, I’ll stick to 2016 in the meantime.

Version 0.1.6-beta available!

• Added state-of-the-art glass material, with support for frosted glass
  • Added area light material
  • Added caustics support
  • Switched tile ordering to spiral
  • Several bug tweaks and bug fixes (full details in the commit log)

• Both the Disney Material and the SSS Material only support maps of type Bitmap
  • No Bitmap options are supported
  • Textures are always tiled
  • Most image file formats are supported, including EXR, PNG, TIFF, BMP and JPEG

Known issues:

Download 64-bit 3ds Max 2015/2016 plugin: appleseed-max2015-0.1.6-beta.zip

1. If you installed a previous version of the plugin, uninstall it by deleting the files you had copied to the root and the plugins folders of 3ds Max.
  4. Start 3ds Max, go to CustomizeConfigure System Paths…3rd Party Plug-Ins, click Add… and choose the appleseed folder you created in the previous step.
  5. At this point the plug-in should be installed and loaded in 3ds Max. Go to CustomizePlug-in Manager… and check that APPLESEED-PLUGIN-MAX2015.DLR is present and loaded.

Feedback appreciated (in this thread)!

I tested this last version, there are couple of things that bug me:

It seems default scene light can’t be turned off.
Materials doesn’t support Sub object material.
I can’t set tile size.
Environment is not supported.

Otherwise it runs pretty well, glass and SS looks great. I saw on github that it is planned to add Multiscatter glass?

Thanks for the feedback.

Actually, the classic way to disable default scene lights is to create, say, an omni light, and turn it off.

But this is annoying. We’ll disable default lights as soon as one area light is present in the scene.

Indeed, this isn’t supported yet.

Good point, will add.

Environment color is supported, it’ll illuminate the scene with a uniformly colored light. Environment maps aren’t supported yet but this is high in my priority list.

Thanks, please share your renders!

Yes, absolutely.

We did a beta testing session of the plugin yesterday on a heavy production scene and here’s what came out of it, in the order it was reported:

• Default number of bounces is too low when using glass. We’ll probably increase it to 5 or 8.
  • We need to expose the Max Ray Intensity feature of appleseed. Useful to kill fireflies.
  • The IOR range (1-2.5) for the glass material is too low; diamond is near 2.5.
  • appleseed’s area lights should emit light in the viewport.
  • Support an “exit color” to detect when we’re reaching the bounce limit.
  • Automatically number appleseed project files when exporting an animation.
  • Add low priority mode to render in the background.
  • Lights duplicate themselves during an animation?!
  • Project export no longer works.
  • Support HDRI environment maps.
  • Disable default lights when at least one area light is present.
  • Add checkboard in material previews.
  • Fix SSS material preview.
  • Materials don’t update properly when edited in the Slate editor?
  • Some text labels in the glass materials are truncated when Windows scaling is at 100%.
  • Support render regions.
  • Render back faces as black instead of pink?
  • Hiding area lights should not disable them (they should continue to emit light).
  • Elasped and remaining times don’t work.

Version 0.1.7-beta available!

3ds Max 2015/2016 64-bit download: appleseed-max2015-0.1.7-beta.zip

This release fixes a number of issues:

• Fix rendering of animations
  • Don’t add Max’s default lights when light-emitting materials are used in the scene
  • Fix anisotropy support in Disney material
  • Increase IOR range for glass material from 1-2.5 to 1-4
  • Increase default number of bounces from 3 to 8
  • Don’t report that an update is available if the plugin version is newer than the latest official release

It also adds a couple new small features as well:

• Add alpha map support to Disney material
  • Log appleseed messages to Max.log

• Materials only support maps of type Bitmap
  • None of the Bitmap options are supported

Keep in mind this is beta-quality software and there are a number of known bugs that will be fixed in the next releases of the plugin.

Feedback and test renders appreciated (in this thread)!

With the latest builds I get this error when using it with Max 2016:

DLL <...\Autodesk\3ds Max 2016\plugins\appleseed-plugin-max2015.dlr> failed to initialize. Error code 126 - The specified module could not be found.

The previous builds did work.

@makit3d Weird. Did you follow the installation instructions for the latest build? You should have a C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\plugins\appleseed directory with the following contents:

Yes, my appleseed folder shows is the same. I went through the steps you outlined several times to be certain I hadn’t misread it or inadvertently done something wrong.

The problem could be with Max 2016 but as I posted earlier the previous builds which had the .dll in the max root did work.

I’m very interesting in figuring this out. Could you try again an earlier version of the plugin that you know used to work?

Could you also try again the latest version of the plugin after having unzipped this file in the plugin’s folder: msvc11-redist.zip (573.3 KB)