3ds Max Plugin Development

I added the files from the .zip you posted and tried alpha 1.7, 1.5 and 1.4. Max was able to load appleseed from 1.4 without errors.

Should you be wondering, yes, I did clean out all the files before I copied a new set over.

Not sure to understand, does that mean that 0.1.7 works with the additional files from the zip?

No, it was 0.1.4 that worked.

Ok. So to summarize, 0.1.7 still doesn’t work, even with the additional files, while 0.1.4 still works. It would be helpful to know which was the latest version that worked on your machine. Does 0.1.6 work? What about 0.1.5?

I did not try 0.1.6 but 0.1.5 and 0.1.7 failed to load. I will try 0.1.6 today and see post what happens.

Thanks. I guess that if 0.1.5 and 0.1.7 don’t work, 0.1.6 will probably not work either. So the last working version is 0.1.4. I’ll start investigating from there. Thanks!

Test 0.1.6 and it, too, failed to load.

0.1.5 was the first version featuring a single unified plugin for all appleseed materials. What’s weird is that it has been successfully tested by several people, including on 3ds Max 2016. Did you notice that the installation instructions changed starting from 0.1.5 onward?

Yes, I did notice the changes and made sure I removed all the old files before using the new.

I am going to go back through the installation again to be sure I didn’t miss anything (removing of the old files especially). Maybe I missed something and didn’t notice it.

I’ve just released version 0.1.8-beta of the Max plugin.

3ds Max 2015/2016 64-bit download: appleseed-max2015-0.1.8-beta.zip

This is a maintenance release that fixes a bunch of bugs and annoyances:

• Add support for background textures in material previews.
  • Fix a bug when an object and a material have the same name.
  • Fix a bug where the materials’ controls were sometimes not properly updating.
  • Replace sliders by spinners for open range parameters.
  • Force antialiasing when the number of pixel samples is set to 1 (previously the samples were pixel-centered).
  • Adjust the range of the IOR slider in the SSS material.
  • Enable global illumination in material previews.
  • Apply rendering settings to both final and interactive configurations.
  • Tweak the layout of the controls in the light material.
  • Fix material class names exposed to MAXScript.

The same limitations as before apply:

• Multi-materials are not supported
  • Materials only support maps of type Bitmap
  • None of the Bitmap options are supported

Keep in mind this is beta-quality software and there are a number of known bugs that will be fixed in the next releases of the plugin.

To install or update the plugin:

1. If you installed a previous version of the plugin, uninstall it by deleting the files you had copied to the root and the plugins folders of 3ds Max.
  2. Go to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\plugins.
  3. Unzip the archive into a new appleseed folder.
  4. Start 3ds Max, go to CustomizeConfigure System Paths…3rd Party Plug-Ins, click Add… and choose the appleseed folder you created in the previous step.
  5. At this point the plug-in should be installed and loaded in 3ds Max. Go to CustomizePlug-in Manager… and check that APPLESEED-PLUGIN-MAX2015.DLR is present and loaded.

Feedback and test renders appreciated (in this thread)!

We’re also releasing two 3ds Max test scenes under CC BY-SA 4.0:

Both archives also contain appleseed scenes that can be rendered with appleseed 1.5.0-beta or later.

The appleseed-max plugin is now available for 3ds Max 2017:

The installation instructions are detailed in the link above. They have changed slightly, make sure to follow them.

@juancarlosgzrz Thanks for the feedback! These are all excellent points.

A few questions:

1. Render progress is supposed to be working in the form of a progress bar in the rendering status window:

What else exactly would you see implemented, and where/how?

2. I guess by “Camera” you mean proper camera support; what settings are the priority ones? Other users’ feedback indicate that depth of field would be nice to have first.

I’ll try to implement the easy ones for the next release of the Max plugin:

• Render tile size
  • Max ray intensity
  • Low priority mode

The other features such as a proper sun light gizmo, physical sun & sky models, environment map support are a bit more involved and will require more efforts, but I definitely intend to implement them.

It is true that appleseed is not the fastest renderer, but we’re working on it. We’re currently switching the entire shading pipeline from double-precision floating point to single-precision floating point. That will possibly bring a small performance boost. We’re also considering switching to Embree, Intel’s path tracing library. This should provide a very significant performance boost, bringing appleseed’s performance closer to commercial CPU renderers.

Thanks again for the feedback, and stay tuned!

I’ve just released version 0.2.0-beta of the Max plugin.

Downloads:

This release fixes two annoying problems:

• Color shifts in SSS material
  • Compatibility with Windows 7

It also adds a couple small features:

• Low priority rendering mode
  • Custom tile size support

The same limitations as before apply:

• Multi-materials are not supported
  • Materials only support maps of type Bitmap
  • None of the Bitmap options are supported

Full list of changes and installation instructions

Keep in mind this is beta-quality software and there are a number of known bugs that will be fixed in the next releases of the plugin.

Feedback and test renders appreciated!

I’ve just released version 0.2.1-beta of the Max plugin.

This release adds support for bump mapping and normal mapping.

Downloads:

Full list of changes and installation instructions

(Fabric textures on the teapot from Pixar One Twenty Eight classic textures collection.)

Feedback and test renders appreciated!

A small bug: appleseed render in 3ds Max 2016 doesn’t render when an image texture is in the slot. It just renders black, then I remove it from it and renders perfectly.

Edited*

It seems that only accepts PNG images and rejects jpgs.

Yes, and that even varies slot by slot…

Here is the explanation: Max plugin features

This is clearly something that we’ll fix completely.

I’ve just released version 0.2.2-beta of the Max plugin.

This release exposes the Max Ray Intensity parameter and fixes several small UI issues.

Downloads:

Updated renderer dialog:

Nice :slight_smile: My first birthday gift of the day. This should help clean up the fireflies as well as help with the glass. Although I am considering a different approach to alleviate that problem. I am happy to be the first to say thank you for the update.

I hope I don’t sound too needy but I am curious if the multi/sub-object material is a feature that will be available soon? I ask because all the vegetation I am using (purchased several model packs) all use multi/sub-object materials.

edit: Was generating a quick rendering but ran into an issue with a tree pack. I have a Laubwerks tree pack and the 3ds max plugin. It allows you to set the render and viewport modes for each so that you can render a full model but only view the basic geometry proxy in the viewport.

When rendering this way appleseed only renders the viewport proxy instead of the selected object from render mode. I’ve attached an image to show the interface.