3ds Max Plugin Development

Hi,

That should definitely work. I just tested appleseed-max 0.4.0-beta in 3ds Max 2017, and it does. Here’s the step I followed:

1. Create a new scene.
  2. Create a new object (e.g. a teapot).
  3. Open the Material Editor, select appleseed Disney Material, and drag & drop the material onto the object.
  4. Hit render.
  5. Change the Base Color of the material.
  6. Hit render.

Could you share the Max scene that doesn’t work?

Hi,
i attached my test scene.appleseed.zip (971.8 KB)
Glas and defuse with texture render well. Only defuse not.

Thanks. It appears to work just fine here:

3ds Max 2017 on Windows 10 64-bit, official appleseed-max 0.4.0-beta release, just opened your scene and hit render…

Can you share more details about your setup?

What would also be helpful to diagnose this issue is to inspect the Max.log file from your machine. It is typically located in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2017 - 64bit\ENU\Network\.

Would you mind sending me this file? Preferably by email ([email protected]) since it might contain sensitive information.

I send a E-Mail with the log . I used max on win 10 64 bit. 8 GB Ram, Nvida 750 gt, AMD FX6300

@schulze1963 Did you already send the email? I haven’t received anything.

Yes i send it. But the mail is comming back So here is the max.log from todayMax.zip (1.5 KB)

Thanks. Everything looks normal. I’m a bit at lost about what’s happening (also wondering why your mail to [email protected].net didn’t go through!).

Would you consider looking at this together on your computer, for instance via TeamViewer (free, awesome: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/)? It’s something that helped debugging complicated issues with other users in the past, I think it would be the best way to continue investigating.

i dont want to install teamviewer, sorry. But i will make some tests with old version of the plugin. maybe one work ok for me. By the way: Lights make the same trouble.
could it be the plugin wont work on AMD CPU?

Could you try exporting the scene (there’s a way to do that with the plugin) and then render it with appleseed.studio?

appleseed.studio is part of the standalone appleseed distribution:
http://appleseedhq.net/download.html

tonight i will try.

with the old plugin with max 2015 u. 2017 the problem is still present. in appleseed studio i render cornel box and some other test scenes. All ok.
I export the test scene from max (renderer-Save project Only). But open in Studio was not successful. See log in uploadstudio_test.zip (16.5 KB)

Ah! Thanks for the zip file, it’s very helpful.

I suppose you are German and that your Windows is set in German as well? I’m asking because the test.appleseed file is using , as a decimal separator, instead of .. That explains why the scene doesn’t load properly in appleseed.studio, and why you have issues with colors that nobody else has reported.

I’ll fix the problem shortly and upload a new release of appleseed-max for you to test.

Thanks for your help in figuring out this issue!

Could you let me know if this version solves your problems (both the issue with colors, and the appleseed project export)?

appleseed-max2017-0.4.1-beta.zip (8.8 MB)

Thanks.

Edit: I was actually able to reproduce the problem and to test the fix so I’m going to make a new official release now.

I’ve just released version 0.4.1-beta of the Max plugin.

This release fixes rendering on German versions of Windows and other locales for which the decimal separator is not a period (.) but another symbol such as a comma (,).

Downloads:

Hy franz, you are great. The new version solves all my problems.

Excellent, good news!

I’ve just released version 0.4.3-beta of the Max plugin.

Changes:

• Added Background Alpha parameter to the renderer settings dialog.
  • Added global Scale Multiplier parameter to the renderer settings dialog.
  • Added Sheen and Sheen Tint parameters to the Disney material.
  • Increased upper bound of Disney material’s Clearcoat parameter from 100% to 1000%.
  • Removed limitation where SSS material’s Scale parameter had an effective minimum value of 0.1.

Downloads:

I’ve just released version 0.4.4-beta of the Max plugin.

We discovered a major regression in the appleseed version that shipped with the previous release of the plugin. This new release includes a version of appleseed that does not suffer from the regression. There are no other changes.

Downloads:

Was working on recreating a rendered scene, originally done with Vray, with asMax materials when I discovered a small problem.

I had two materials that were going to use the same alpha map. When connecting the one map to each materials alpha slot the render fails to start (the ‘poof’ effect). Copying the bitmap and connecting each bitmap tthe alpha slots independently allows the render to run.

Thanks! Definitely a bug. Tracked here: https://github.com/appleseedhq/appleseed-max/issues/19

Thanks again!