3ds Max plugin installation

Good afternoon,
Please, i dont know how to install the appleseed 0.5.0 plugin for 3dsmax 2017.
I have already run the standalone but not sure of the connection with 3dsmax.

Blenderseed installation

Please where do i paste the dll and dlr files for 3dsmax plugin installation ?

Hi ebanj,

The latest release and installation instructions (scroll a bit down) for the Max plugin can be found here: https://github.com/appleseedhq/appleseed-max/releases

Installation

The following are installation instructions for 3ds Max 2017. Replace 2017 by the appropriate value for other versions of 3ds Max.

If you have installed a previous version of the plugin, first uninstall it by deleting the appleseed folder from C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2017\plugins.
Unzip the archive to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2017\plugins.
Launch 3ds Max, go to Customize → Configure System Paths... → 3rd Party Plug-Ins, click Add... and choose the C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2017\plugins\appleseed folder.

At this point the plugin should be installed and loaded in 3ds Max. Go to Customize → Plug-in Manager… and check that APPLESEED-MAX2017.DLR is present and loaded.

One more thing. Just noted this is an old thread about Blender. It is less confusing for other people if you continue a thread about Max plugin installation issues or start a new thread.

Thanks very much.
Your assistance is much appreciated.
I have installed it and it worked but i did not see appleseed-max2017.dlr loaded in plug-in manager.

Can i implement ies photometric profile files ?
How do i create shaders in appleseed ?

Can i use appleseed
for exterior rendering ?

Hi ebanj,
Glad you got it working!

Can i implement ies photometric profile files ?
They are not yet implemented, but the devs are working on it.

How do i create shaders in appleseed ?
Just select in the slate material editor on of several appleseed materials. A reference to the shaders can be found here: http://appleseed.readthedocs.io/projects/appleseed-maya/en/latest/shaders/shaders.html#label-shaders

Can i use appleseed for exterior rendering ?
Sure, just like Arnold, appleseed can be used for all types of scenes.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Please i want to know if i can load my mental ray materials into appleseed and how can i convert vray maerials into appleseed materials.

Thanks

I don’t think it’s possible to use mental ray materials, or for that matter any other non-appleseed materials. @franz can give you a definite answer to your question and about material conversion.

You can only use appleseed materials with appleseed. You can however use any map if you enable Use Max Procedural Maps:

Note however that you will no longer be able to export project files to disk.

Thanks very much.
I now have a better understanding.