Hello AS Team,
thank you very much for this extremely good looking, crisp render - and your effort in producing it.
I took a weekend for my researches and did exercises in order to make it running for my test visualizations.
I am new to AS and i have difficulties to find any kind of tutorial about the concept of this renderer. So sorry if the questions are plausible:
AS Beta 2.1.0, Blender 28 and 28.1 (latest builds)
- Setup: Normal Map concept.
If i am not wrong, the node tree shold be build like this:
Here is the screenshot and the scene illustrating the setup:
-> Problems: The simple subdivided BlenderSpehere shows smooth shading, but using normal-map it draws faces smoothing groups edgy.
Normal Map ColorSpace Management concept.
Using NormalBitmap in other 3d applications requires setting Raw/Linear ColorSpace. In Appleseed i see the toggle with “CMS”: does the user needs to toggle it while using NormalBitmap and setup “Raw”? I have tried but i can not deduct what happens, for me it looks random.
asManifold2D: Texcoordination manipulation:
In the same scene trying to change any parameter of asManifold2D-Node does not affect the appearance.
It seems as if the asManifold2D is out of function. I was not able to, for example, tile the map 10x10.
How can the user manipualte texture coordinates in AppleSeed correctly?
s. the same attached scene as above:
UDIMs: random stops
Using latest Blender 281, i was trying to engage UDIMs in AppleSeed. While i can get first two materials working, rendering stops after i add any kind of bitmap to the thrid material in the material editor.
Detaching the bitmap node allows rendering again. It seams I can’t have more then 2 materials with textures in the current version?
s. scene “02_UDIMs.blend”
Disney SubSurface Param:
Is there any explanation what it exactly does and how to control it? I notice some slight changes on shading but it is not self-evident how it should be engaged to produce any kind of wax,skin or similar effect (for example parameters about depth, radius or similar)
I know it is beta but we are always happy to get reports during our productions, therefore few things that came up during the work:
- Viewport issues and bugs
- Both MaterialShadedPreview and RenderedPreview show full computation of the scene. Material should be non-rendered preivew with only materials.
- While having RenderViewport, switching HDRis and/or constant/none/hdri causes randomly instant crashes
- Viewport renderer continues rendering viewport after pressing F12. The computer spend CPU now on both screens instead of pausing view-port in favor of Image Rendering.
- Attaching and detaching nodes randomly does not affect viewport render (s vid_01_Appleseed_viewport-refresh.mp4 - in folder https://seafile.cg-prototype.com/f/08d0c1948b664a8d9d72/)