appleseed Users Forum

AS Maya: Exported .appleseed missing .OSO file for "as_toon"

In Appleseed standalone (on a linux computer):
osl: No .oso file could be found for shader "as_toon"
osl: Could not find shader "as_toon"

I’m investigating appleseed for rendering a school project, so i have to use Maya. I’m trying to render it on my own PC with the standalone render, since I don’t want to install Maya on my computer. When i open the scene I exported from Maya, it fails to render because it can’t find as_toon.oso

I’ve found toon.oso in the standalone’s files. I don’t know how to fix this, but I should mention I’m comfortable with using Python and OSL (from a Blender background). Also, I started appleseed from the terminal, not sure if that matters, but the terminal says:
'Gtk-Message: 20:37:48.144: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module" '

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,
appleseed standalone cannot know where on your system the shader files are located.
You need to set the environment variable APPLESEED_SEARCHPATH to point to the directories where the .oso files (compiled .osl shader files) are located. If you exported from Maya then add both the /shaders/appleseed and /shaders/maya directories of your appleseed installation.

There is a 2nd option to set the search paths by using appleseed.studio.

1. Load the exported scene file
  2. Right click on the top of the project tree Project then a menu Edit Search Paths...appears where you can set the shader search paths.

Thanks, that did the trick! I assumed that it automatically pointed to the installation directory, with relative paths… I should know enough about software to never make assumptions.

I assumed that it automatically pointed to the installation directory, with relative paths…

That’s an interesting idea in fact… Let us discuss this with the team, maybe we should do that when APPLESEED_SEARCHPATH isn’t set.