appleseed Users Forum

Blender 2.80: All materials appear black

5th sep Release candidate builds of appleseed for Blender 2.0.0-beta build.
intel i3.
HD 5450.
win 10.

i tried every single material none works

That is because you use a Cycles output node which is not supported by appleseed.
Instead of the Cycles Material Outputnode you have to use the asClosure2Surface output node (see screenshot)

3 Likes

Thank you and Why that is not enabled by default ?

As far as I know that is a Blender issue. Our blenderseed developer @Jonathan_Dent can tell you more about it and why the Cycles nodes are not hidden when switching to appleseed.

Hi. Nodes in Blender have the ability to poll which render engine is active and then decide whether or not they will appear in the menu. Some of the Cycles nodes do conduct polls to make sure Cycles/Eevee is selected, but many others do not. Those are the ones that show up. A Blender dev has expressed the intention to add polling to these nodes so they won’t appear in other renderers, but it hasn’t happened yet. We used to use a custom node tree but in 2.8 that caused updating issues during interactive rendering so I switched things over to the built in material node system.

2 Likes

Still object appear black in viewport render.

After you change materials or connect a wire between shader switch the viewport shading mode shortly to Solid and then back to Rendered so the renderer gets notified about the the changes in the scene (see screenshot).
For the details why this does not happen automatically I refer you to @Jonathan_Dent

Capture

i did that it’s not working.

I don’t have problems with our release build and Blender 2.81-alpha.

1 Like

I’m not seeing any light source in the scene. Is there an HDRI?

1 Like

yes

I’m removing the [Solved] tag until we have figured out the issue :slight_smile:

1 Like