blenderseed-1.0.0-beta issues with Ubuntu

Hi,

I work on Ubuntu 18.04 64bits, blender 2.79

I have downloaded and install/unpack appleseed 2.0.0 beta and blenderseed-1.0.0-beta-linux64.zip

The appleseed.studio command in a terminal seems to work fine (I’m newbie in applessed so I just can say that the gui is launched without error).

I put the blenderseed folder in /usr/share/blender/scripts/addon directory

Then, I run blender, Ctrl + Alt + U, see the Render options and see blenderseed.

When I try to enable the blenderseed render, I have the following message in the terminal :

Read prefs: /home/olivier/.config/blender/2.79/config/userpref.blend
RNA_def_struct_ui_text: 'Class for appleseed node tree.' description from 'AppleseedOSLNodeTree' '' ends with a '.' !
Writing: /tmp/blender.crash.txt
Erreur de segmentation (core dumped)

And blender crashes…

If anyone have an idea, it will be very appreciated,

Thanks,
Uta

Hi Uta,

Welcome to the appleseed forum!
Can you provide some more information on the crash. Maybe there is something in the /tmp/blender.crash.txt

One note, blenderseed works only with the 2.79b official versions, not the daily builds which use a different Python version internally.
You can check which Python version Blender uses in the built in Python Console (see screenshot)
For blenderseed to work it needs to show major=3, minor=5 which means Blender uses Python 3.5.

Hi,
I am on Ubuntu 17.04, Blender 2.79 official.
When I try to activate Blenderseed1.0Beta, I get this error.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/maj/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/blenderseed/appleseed/lib/appleseed/__init__.py", line 35, in <module>
    from _appleseedpythonbuiltin import *
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '_appleseedpythonbuiltin'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/blender/2.79/scripts/modules/addon_utils.py", line 370, in enable
    mod.register()
  File "/home/maj/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/blenderseed/__init__.py", line 64, in register
    from . import export
  File "/home/maj/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/blenderseed/export.py", line 33, in <module>
    from .translators import SceneTranslator
  File "/home/maj/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/blenderseed/translators/__init__.py", line 29, in <module>
    from .scene import SceneTranslator
  File "/home/maj/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/blenderseed/translators/scene.py", line 33, in <module>
    import appleseed as asr
  File "/home/maj/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/blenderseed/appleseed/lib/appleseed/__init__.py", line 45, in <module>
    from ._appleseedpython3 import *
ImportError: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /home/maj/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/blenderseed/appleseed/lib/appleseed/../libappleseed.so)

Hi Bobar,

Thanks for reporting and welcome to the appleseed forum!

From the error-log I see that GLIBC 2.27 was not found. You state that you use Ubuntu 17.04 which uses an older version GLIBC 2.24 according to https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntu
So it is most likely an incompatibility with your system GLIBC and the newer one blenderseed was linked with. We will discuss what can be done in a cases like this and get back to you.

After a discussion it emerged you have two options:

1. Upgrade your Ubuntu to a more recent version
  2. Build appleseed yourself from source with your current system
    (See documentation on how to do it: https://github.com/appleseedhq/appleseed/wiki/Building-appleseed-on-Linux