appleseed Users Forum

Blenderseed not saving materials

Greetings everyone.

I don’t know what I am doing wrong, but everytime I use blenderseed it do not save the materials I’ve created.

I am using blenderseed 1.0.0 beta with Blender 2.79, and this problem happens both in Windows and Linux

I edit the material in the node editor window and always after close and reopen the file the name of material continues there, but it looses its setup, showing just a black sphere. In the node editor the edited material continues there, but it’s not anymore linked to the name in the material panel.

And if I click “add Appleseed material node” a new material node setup is created, but I can’t use the old one I had created.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it a bug…?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Wanilson,

welcome to the forum and thanks for reporting. We haven’t seen this problem so far with the official blenderseed 1.0.0 beta. Our blenderseed developer @Jonathan_Dent is looking into this issue.
Meanwhile could you try this blenderseed (Windows) build:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/74b8o1j5i8l0t1y/blenderseed-1.0.0-beta-54-g2f2a66e-win64-2019-01-01.zip?dl=1

We have a list of known problems/bugs for blenderseed on GitHub.:
https://github.com/appleseedhq/blenderseed/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc

Hi Wanilson,
Sorry you’re having issues. It’s an odd one for sure (and one I haven’t seen before)

If you could do a couple things for me:

When you load the file up, see if there’s any error messages in the terminal window

If the material is not linked, try typing this into the Python console:

bpy.data.materials['glass'].appleseed.osl_node_tree 

and tell me what it says

Hi, Jonathan.
Thank you for your reply.

Indeed, there are a lot of error messages, which I’ll transcript rigth bellow:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Usuário\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\blenderseed\render\__init__.py", line 128, in render
    self.__render_material_preview(scene)
  File "C:\Users\Usuário\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\blenderseed\render\__init__.py", line 209, in __render_material_preview
    RenderAppleseed.__material_preview_renderer.translate_preview(scene)
  File "C:\Users\Usuário\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\blenderseed\translators\preview.py", line 53, in translate_preview
    self.__create_preview_scene(scene)
  File "C:\Users\Usuário\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\blenderseed\translators\preview.py", line 98, in __create_preview_scene
    plane, plane_bsdf, plane_inst, plane_mat, plane_tex, plane_tex_inst = self.__create_backdrop(preview_template_dir)
  File "C:\Users\Usuário\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\blenderseed\translators\preview.py", line 164, in __create_backdrop
    'material_preview_ground.binarymesh')})
RuntimeError: appleseed.MeshObjectReader failed

Maybe those errors be associated with fact that my Windows user name has accentuation… I’ll try to create another user and make a test.

About the python command, I’ve entered it, but nothing has happened…

When I try to remove the addon I also get these error messages:
(same issues in another Windows 10 machine)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "E:\progs\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\startup\bl_operators\wm.py", line 2149, in execute
    shutil.rmtree(path)
  File "E:\progs\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\python\lib\shutil.py", line 494, in rmtree
    return _rmtree_unsafe(path, onerror)
  File "E:\progs\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\python\lib\shutil.py", line 384, in _rmtree_unsafe
    _rmtree_unsafe(fullname, onerror)
  File "E:\progs\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\python\lib\shutil.py", line 384, in _rmtree_unsafe
    _rmtree_unsafe(fullname, onerror)
  File "E:\progs\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\python\lib\shutil.py", line 389, in _rmtree_unsafe
    onerror(os.unlink, fullname, sys.exc_info())
  File "E:\progs\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\python\lib\shutil.py", line 387, in _rmtree_unsafe
    os.unlink(fullname)
PermissionError: [WinError 5] Acesso negado: 'C:\\Users\\wanilson\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.79\\scripts\\addons\\blenderseed\\appleseed\\bin\\appleseed.dll'

Any ideas about the problem…?

Best regards.

Hi, guys.

After some time I could fix the problem, I believe it was some way related with Blender version: after remove 2.79 and install 2.79b the files did not lose the materials anymore.

Finally I could run the tutorial file for Blenderseed (with minor modifications) and see the result that AppleSeed presented:

Thank you for creating and mantain such good renderer.

Best regards.

Glad you solved the problem and thanks for the kind words.

A note about the different Blender versions. Blender uses various Python versions even within the 2.79 release. Our official blenderseed binaries work with the official Blender 2.79b release version which uses Python 3.5 internally. To have blenderseed work with the latest 2.79 buildbot versions one would need to recompile appleseed with the Python-bindings for Python 3.7.

A Blender 2.8 version is currently in development (misses still the viewport render mode).