Compilation of appleseed on windows

Hi everyone,
I m trying to compile appleseed with visual studio 2013 (msvc12).
I tried to follow the instruction at the

and i got this error message among others…

エラー	1	error MSB3073: コマンド "setlocal
"C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake\bin\cmake.exe" -E copy /osl-release/bin/oslc.exe C:/build/appleseed/1.7.0b/source/sandbox/bin/
if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :cmEnd
:cmEnd
endlocal & call :cmErrorLevel %errorlevel% & goto :cmDone
:cmErrorLevel
exit /b %1
:cmDone
if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :VCEnd
:VCEnd" はコード 1 で終了しました。	C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets	132	5	SANDBOX

i read that it could be related to some file being created without permission causing the error… but i set the cmake prefix to a folder i have the rights…

if anyone has any clues?
thanks

PS: I tried to figure out how to post that on the appleseed-dev group but cuold nt find… sorry.

Hey Marc,

I tried to figure out how to post that on the appleseed-dev group but cuold nt find…

appleseed-dev is an open mailing list, you should be able to join it like any other. Note that your first message may take a couple hours to reach the list as it will need explicit approval from us

Regarding your build error: it seems like it fails to copy the file /osl-release/bin/oslc.exe to C:/build/appleseed/1.7.0b/source/sandbox/bin/. I’m under the impression that the source path (/osl-release/bin/oslc.exe) is incorrect, which makes me thing something is wrong in your command line.

Could you show the exact sequence of commands you are using to build appleseed?

sorry for the group problem
I access it frm my company and it may be possible i actually cannot post there because of company restrictions on our google accounts.

I followed what was said on the page

Here is the output of cmake

c:\build\appleseed\1.7.0b\source\build>"C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake\bin\cmake.exe" -G "Visual Studi
o 12 Win64" -DWITH_DISNEY_MATERIAL=ON -DBOOST_ROOT=C:\build\appleseed\1.7.0b\boost_1_55_0 -DQT_QMAKE
_EXECUTABLE=C:\Qt\4.8.7\bin\qmake.exe -DPYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR=C:\Python27\include -DPYTHON_LIBRARY=C:\P
ython27\libs\python27.lib -DAPPLESEED_DEPS_STAGE_DIR=C:\build\appleseed\1.7.0b\source\appleseed-deps
\stage ..
-- The C compiler identification is MSVC 18.0.21005.1
-- The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 18.0.21005.1
-- Check for working C compiler using: Visual Studio 12 2013 Win64
-- Check for working C compiler using: Visual Studio 12 2013 Win64 -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Visual Studio 12 2013 Win64
-- Check for working CXX compiler using: Visual Studio 12 2013 Win64 -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
Target architecture: x86_64
Building in C++03 mode.
-- Boost version: 1.55.0
-- Found the following Boost libraries:
--   chrono
--   date_time
--   filesystem
--   regex
--   system
--   thread
--   wave
-- Found OpenGL: opengl32
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11 - not found
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN - found
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS - not found
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC - not found
-- Found Qt4: C:/Qt/4.8.7/bin/qmake.exe (found version "4.8.7")
-- Found PythonLibs: C:/Python27/libs/python27.lib (found version "2.7.10+")
-- Boost version: 1.55.0
-- Found the following Boost libraries:
--   python
-- Could NOT find Doxygen (missing:  DOXYGEN_EXECUTABLE)
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: C:/build/appleseed/1.7.0b/source/build

and the first error message:
error MSB3073: command "setlocal
"C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake\bin\cmake.exe" -E copy C:\build\appleseed\1.7.0b\source\appleseed-deps\stage/osl-release/bin/oslc.exe C:/build/appleseed/1.7.0b/source/sandbox/bin/
if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :cmEnd
:cmEnd
endlocal & call :cmErrorLevel %errorlevel% & goto :cmDone
:cmErrorLevel
exit /b %1
:cmDone
if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :VCEnd
:VCEnd" はコード 1 で終了しました。	C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets

Hey Marc,

That error message looks much better, at least now the copy instruction makes more sense:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake\bin\cmake.exe" -E copy C:\build\appleseed\1.7.0b\source\appleseed-deps\stage/osl-release/bin/oslc.exe C:/build/appleseed/1.7.0b/source/sandbox/bin/

Could you check that both the source path (C:\build\appleseed\1.7.0b\source\appleseed-deps\stage/osl-release/bin/oslc.exe) and destination path (C:/build/appleseed/1.7.0b/source/sandbox/bin/) exist, and that the destination path is writable?

I think I know what could be the error:

The appleseed dependencies are actually in C:\build\appleseed\1.7.0b\source\appleseed-deps \stage\vc12 (note: vc12\ at the end), aren’t they?

Could you try with this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake\bin\cmake.exe" -G "Visual Studio 12 Win64" -DWITH_DISNEY_MATERIAL=ON -DBOOST_ROOT=C:\build\appleseed\1.7.0b\boost_1_55_0 -DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE=C:\Qt\4.8.7\bin\qmake.exe -DPYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR=C:\Python27\include -DPYTHON_LIBRARY=C:\Python27\libs\python27.lib -DAPPLESEED_DEPS_STAGE_DIR=C:\build\appleseed\1.7.0b\source\appleseed-deps\stage\vc12

EDIT: I updated the build instructions accordingly.