How do I render without the margins?

I’m new to rendering, and I am evaluating appleseed to build a cloud rendering service for the company’s needs. I’m playing around with render settings, and all seems good so far.

One thing I’ve not yet figured out, however, is how can I render an image without the margins. Is there any way I can do that? Even if I can’t, if there’s any explanation for how the margins are determined, I can process the images myself to remove the margin.

Thanks!

What do you call the margins?

The transparent region around the rendered image.

Well that’s just due to the camera’s position relatively to the scene. appleseed doesn’t add margins.

Ah, alright!

Here is appleseed 1.7.1-beta that fixes the problem you reported:

https://github.com/appleseedhq/appleseed/releases/download/1.7.1-beta/appleseed-1.7.1-beta-0-gae7f346-mac64-clang.zip

Let us know how this works for you!

Awesome! I’ll check this out right now.

I’ll probably be having a lot of questions about the Python API and appleseed in general in the coming few weeks. Where would be the best place to ask these questions? Here? Is there a programming specific category? Or would the google group be a better place?

Thanks!

The earlier problem is resolved, but now there seems to be a different problem, i.e., missing libboost_python-mt.dylib.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "basic.py", line 37, in <module>
    import appleseed as asr
  File "/Users/vinaysshenoy/Development/appleseed_dist/appleseed/lib/python2.7/appleseed/__init__.py", line 34, in <module>
    from _appleseedpython import *
ImportError: dlopen(/Users/vinaysshenoy/Development/appleseed_dist/appleseed/lib/python2.7/appleseed/_appleseedpython.so, 2): Library not loaded: @loader_path/../../libboost_python-mt.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/vinaysshenoy/Development/appleseed_dist/appleseed/lib/python2.7/appleseed/_appleseedpython.so
  Reason: image not found

Ok, I got it to work. I had to install boost-python(available on Homebrew).

Glad that you got it to work.

I’ll look into the problem though, it should definitely work out of the box. Thanks for the report.

We’ll be happy to help!

While the C++ & Python APIs aren’t properly documented yet, beside the Python sample there’s also mitsuba2appleseed.py:
https://github.com/appleseedhq/appleseed/blob/master/scripts/mitsuba2appleseed.py

The very best place is our Slack team channel where all the devs are hanging out, and where you’ll get realtime answers to your questions. Could you write a mail at [email protected]? We’ll send you an invite.