appleseed Users Forum

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery: Lee Griggs' inspired renders

Two early renders:

Here is the input image for both renders:

Imgur

Source: Kyle Taylor on Flickr

These renders were inspired by the awe-inspiring work of Lee Griggs: http://leegriggs.wordpress.com/2014/06/28/xgen-color/

Franz

Another one in full HD resolution:

Input image:

Source: Hannah Lamb

Hey Franz, Its getting better !
Is it possible tu use custom mesh rather than a simple cube? Like a chamfered cube ? It would give even better results I think

Absolutely! Send me a mesh and I’ll do a test with it. Keep the number of polys as low as possible though: the last render already contains 10 million triangles…

Franz

Some technical notes about these renders:

Cubes use the new Disney BRDF [1]. The scene is lit by an Hosek & Wilkie physical sky [2], plus a white directional light.

I’m pretty sure the renders would be much better if both the materials and the lighting were better setup. The good thing is, these scenes can be tweaked interactively in appleseed.studio.

I can provide all the required tools for Windows (64-bit) on request.

[1]: SIGGRAPH 2012 Course Notes: Physically-Based Shading at Disney
[2]: An Analytic Model for Full Spectral Sky-Dome Radiance

This is awesome! I post a link to the original Lee Griggs post.

Looking at the Lee Griggs’s one, I have the impression they have sharpen and higher specularity. This make the bokeh effect more “vibrant”. You should try with that! Use a darker (almost black) image with some vibrant colors and a high and sharp specularity.

And while you are here: Use bokeh hegaxonal shapes and bevel effect! :sunglasses:

[quote=“Narann, post:6, topic:20”]
This is awesome! I post [a link to the original Lee Griggs post][1].[/quote]

Thanks, I will edit my first post to add it as well.

[quote=“Narann, post:6, topic:20”]
Looking at the Lee Griggs’s one, I have the impression they have sharpen and higher specularity. This make the bokeh effect more “vibrant”.[/quote]

I suspect he also uses some form of subsurface scattering. I am using the subsurface effect built into the Disney BRDF but it doesn’t work that well on cubes.

Could you provide one as an example?

Yes!

Franz

What about this one ?

Very interesting, it could indeed work! I’ll give it a try.

I can also provide you the tool that generate this stuff, it’s dead easy to use (double-click on executable to generate an appleseed scene from the image, then render the scene it has generated with appleseed.studio).

Franz

Yes I would love to give a try at it !

The pics look great.
I was thinking of doing my own too :slight_smile:

Are they instances of boxes, or a big mesh?

Est.

[quote=“est, post:11, topic:20, full:true”]
The pics look great.
I was thinking of doing my own too :slight_smile:

Are they instances of boxes, or a big mesh?[/quote]

I have both versions available. The monolithic mesh approach is incredibly efficient (it only takes a handful of seconds to generate, load and start rendering a 10 million triangles scene such as the last one above, on a crappy 3-year-old laptop). Of course the instancing approach is much more flexible. I’ll eventualyl release both, but the monolithic approach will come first.

Franz

I guess this tests are a good way to improve massive instances. :smile:

I’ve found some pictures that have good dark place to place the camera on and observe the rest:

I like this one:

Notice I didn’t check the licence of every photo above. :stuck_out_tongue:
I also realize posted pictures have high dimension and go outside the screen. Could you (franz) decrease the default image dimension a little? :slight_smile:
(And a user is limited to 4 images per post. :frowning: )

And you have a limit of 20 sec between posts so it’s hard to post multiple pictures. :smiley:

[quote=“Narann, post:13, topic:20”]
I guess this tests are a good way to improve massive instances. :smile:[/quote]

Absolutely!

Some nice ones in there, would love to see what kind of results we get from these!

Yes, I’ll see what I can do.

Increased to 10.

Franz

Sorry about that, there are many settings in Discourse and it seems to be on the defensive side by default… I made you a Leader user so you shouldn’t most of these restrictions anymore.

Franz

(I had to wait someone post because a user can’t post more than 3 posts at the same time. Could I suggest to increase (10?) the limit of posted picture per post?)

And a last from a friend. I could bring to a nice composition as the image is widely symmetrical.

This one is not under Creative Commons.

And in general, look for “paint” give good results.

EDIT: Thanks!

makefluffy meets a Lee Griggs render. 10 million triangles, 10 million Bézier curves:

Franz

Oh shit you changed the color theme… my eyes are bleeding :wink:

I’ve made this one this morning…