Some appleseed Tests

Hi.
I did some test to discover Appleseed and I can’t find the way to smooth the polygon face.
Here is the result.

Cheer

Nice!

How did you create the scene? You need to export smooth (interpolated) normals in order to obtain a smooth surface in appleseed.

I make my scene in blender then export in obj.

You should be able to export smooth normals from Blender.

Actually, are you using blenderseed, or are you manually exporting an .obj and then importing it in appleseed.studio?

Manually i didn’t know about blenderseed

When using Blender’s obj export, you have to enable the write normals checkbox.

OK it work like a charm :wink: thanks.

Good to hear. Make sure to post your renders here!

I love your tiny monster! Don’t hesitate to post futur renders! :slight_smile:

Here is another test, and I have a lot of question ^^
Why when I try to export from blenderseed a object with a Specular BTDF it crash…
Where is the Disney BRDF in blenderseed ?
Where is the mix or blend BRDF in blenderseed ? Did I add a layer to blend 2 materials ?
Is it possible to gloss a the Specular BTDF ?
Is it possible to use SSS ?

Cheer :wink:

Neat!

Let me point Joel Daniels – main author of blenderseed – to this thread so he can answer all your questions.

Sweet render!

It depends on which version of blenderseed you’re using. If you’re using the one that comes bundled with appleseed, I’m not sure what to expect, as I haven’t tried using that one in a long time :wink:

I also haven’t released a new version of blenderseed with the Disney BRDF, and there may or may not be a fix for the Specular BTDF as well, I don’t recall it ever causing crashes. If it did, it’s currently fixed :slight_smile: I’ll be releasing compiled versions of the exporter for various OSes soon.

In the meantime, try downloading a .zip snapshot of the current state of blenderseed from here: https://github.com/appleseedhq/blenderseed

Also, please check out the blenderseed wiki, it may have answers to any future questions you might have about blenderseed: https://github.com/appleseedhq/blenderseed/wiki

Yes, you’ll add BSDF layers to the material to get a mixture of BSDFs. You can also simply work with material nodes instead, and use the BSDF Blend node to blend two of them together. This is quite a bit easier.

The Specular BTDF doesn’t support glossy refractions, but Esteban has been working on an OSL shader that supports glossiness.

An SSS parameter is available in the Disney BRDF, but it’s a very subtle effect and not a dedicated BSSRDF.

[quote=“ohsnapitsjoel, post:12, topic:32, full:true”]
It depends on which version of blenderseed you’re using. If you’re using the one that comes bundled with appleseed, I’m not sure what to expect, as I haven’t tried using that one in a long time ;)[/quote]

We’re no longer shipping any exporter with appleseed, so no worries on this side :slight_smile:

Thank you for all this information, with the last blenderseed that’s really better.
Here is another test.
Just one problem, I have an error message when render in blenderseed when I put a EXR textures in the environment Latitude-longitude Map in blender.
Manually in appleseed i work good but in blender it´s not possible.

Nice! I love the plastic feel of the cannon! :smile:
Can you copy paste the error message?

Thanks, I think i make the Hrdi process bad because it work now ^^