appleseed Users Forum

Turning on Blenderseed: ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘_appleseedpythonbuiltin’

Hi all. I had an issue trying to turn Blenderseed on. Any help is appreciated. Cheers.

Using Blender 2.93.0 I installed the latest Blenderseed from discord posted on 01/16/2021. I’m on a Lenovo Yoga 530 if that’s relevant.

Seemed to go ok, but when I click the checkbox to turn Blenderseed on, a box popped up with an longish error saying:

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘_appleseedpythonbuiltin’

I copied the full output from the console:

[appleseed] Python path set to: C:\Users\tobus\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderseed\appleseed\lib
[appleseed] Path to appleseed.dll is set to: C:\Users\tobus\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderseed\appleseed\bin
Exception in module register(): C:\Users\tobus\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderseed_init_.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\tobus\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderseed\appleseed\lib\appleseed_init_.py”, line 35, in
from _appleseedpythonbuiltin import *
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘_appleseedpythonbuiltin’

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.93\2.93\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py”, line 386, in enable
mod.register()
File “C:\Users\tobus\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderseed_init_.py”, line 58, in register
from . import preferences
File “C:\Users\tobus\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderseed\preferences.py”, line 30, in
import appleseed as asr
File “C:\Users\tobus\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderseed\appleseed\lib\appleseed_init_.py”, line 45, in
from ._appleseedpython3 import *
ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _appleseedpython3: The specified module could not be found.

Cheers. The project looks amazing by the way.

Hi @tobuslieven

Welcome to our forum!
Thanks for the praise. Now to your question. Development for appleseed has slowed down as the core devs are very time constraint. We haven’t been able yet to update the Blenderseed version to be compatible with the newer Blender 2.93.
Blender 2.93 uses a newer Python version internally (3.9x) than Blender 2.92 (3.7x) and appleseed’s Python bindings, which are part of Blenderseed, need to be compiled to the exact same Python version Blender uses.
So for now, you could use Blenderseed only with Blender versions up to 2.92.

1 Like

That’s perfect. Thank you. Installed fine now with Blender 2.92.

To add to Mango’s post: appleseed uses boost 1.69 for its Python integration (which is what Blender uses). Python 3.9 triggers all kinds of depreciation warnings with this version of Boost, so to get it to work we will need to upgrade those as well.

Indeed, appleseed’s Python bindings would need an overhaul as moving to Python 3.9 and with it a more recent Boost version require adaptions. For instance the GIL-lock handling and final render handling need changes. I compiled a blenderseed version against Python 3.9 and was able to get it registered in Blender 3.0 alpha, even interactive render works but final render leads to a crash.