Willing to help with development

Hi,

I’m new here and I’m willing to help with development of this project. I’m experienced technical artist, mostly do automation maxscripts and small 3dsmax plugins for our production studio. I want to get more experience in c++ programming and developing tools and plugins.
I can help with development of max plugin and studio application. I’m not very strong in math but can help with UI code, conversion and things like that.
These are couple of ideas of max plugin improvements which I could probably develop:

• add environment map plugin such as sky and others available in studio
  • improve render settings interface with more options such as rendering methods, material editor preview settings etc.
  • this is just came to mind - logger window in max - not sure if it is required

For studio application I noticed there’s no way to get to the bound parameter except navigating to it in project tree. Probably getting to the maps/colors/edf-s/bsdf-s by clicking on the button would be better. Right now clicking on the assigned slot does nothing.
Also support of drag-n-drop of those parameters onto slots would probably make things friendlier…

Sorry for the long post, these are just random thoughts. If you have any ideas of where I can help I would be happy to contribute.

Thanks,
Sergo.

And this is my first attempt to fix couple of issues

• issue with instanced map in different materials (quick patch but needs further discussion)
  • issue with material in multi-material not updating when changing material’s color swatch. I think this also fixed preview in slate material editor.
  • glass material didn’t look transparent in the viewports

I didn’t create pull request without asking first, so here’s the link to compare view - https://github.com/appleseedhq/appleseed-max/compare/master...usakhelo:minor_fixes

It also contains lot of .rc and .vcxproj file changes which are not relevant to fixes. I should have clean it up better. I’ll do it tomorrow and will update with thread.

Hello Sergo, and welcome!

Thanks for getting in touch! As a matter of fact, I would be more than happy to have some help on the 3ds Max plugin (of which I’m the sole developer right now).

If you send me your email (as a private message if you don’t want to make it public) I’ll send you an invite to join the development team on Slack.

To answer some of your questions:

For studio application I noticed there’s no way to get to the bound parameter except navigating to it in project tree.

Indeed. There’s some preliminary work to be done before this can be implemented, namely expose the binding mechanism to the outside such that .studio can know to which entity it should navigate when clicking on a button.

Also support of drag-n-drop of those parameters onto slots would probably make things friendlier…

Good idea, that shouldn’t be difficult to implement I believe!

Did you already compile appleseed? I believe you’re on Windows, correct?

And this is my first attempt to fix couple of issues

Awesome! I’ll review your changes now. Please do make a PR :slight_smile:

Hi Franz,

I’ve made PR - https://github.com/appleseedhq/appleseed-max/pull/20
And sending you my email right now…

Thanks! Slack invite sent.