Wristwatch VizPeople

Hello all, thanks for this great piece of open source software. I like to play around with render engines and compare them. This scene is a free model from VizPeople imported as fbx into Blender. I’m still trying to figure out all the render engine settings for good results.

Hi, very nice!

If you have any question regarding appleseed or blenderseed, please don’t hesitate to ask, we’ll be happy to help.

We’re about to release a new release of blenderseed with a ton of new shaders (written in OSL). Would you be interested in helping us test it?

Thanks, yes I have some question related to spectral rendering to see dispersion effects. I just thought it better to post a nice picture as my first post here :slight_smile:
I made a small test scene with diamonds and exported it to Appleseed Studio to switch on spectral rendering mode (In Blender there is no such switch yet) but I don’t see dispersion in the render output. There is a previous forum post touching this topic so I may post my question there.
And please yes, I would be interested in the new Blender plugin test.

Despite its support for spectral rendering, unfortunately appleseed doesn’t support dispersion yet. Sorry! Currently spectral rendering is only used for accurate rendering using spectral reflectange and emittance data.

We’ll make sure to give you an early build of the new plugin. You may want to join our Slack (channel #blenderseed) to report issues and interact with the plugin’s developers. You can self-invite to Slack using the pink badge on appleseed’s GitHub homepage: https://github.com/appleseedhq/appleseed

Thanks François, this explains my observations. I understand that this is not a pressing issue for many intended to use it as an animation renderer similar to Arnold. I was just curious if I can get close to the visual quality of Maxwell or Indigo.

We would certainly appreciate great renders as well as comparisons with Maxwell and Indigo. Please let us know if you encounter any issues (beside dispersion) that prevent you from achieving that level of quality.

Sure, I will certainly play more around with appleseed.

Nice Render Mango!